Monday, September 27, 2010

Here we are again

In the course of unschooling, it is easy to occasionally start thinking that you aren't doing anything. Or, rather, that your kids aren't doing anything. And that maybe they should.

In an effort to remind myself of all that we do, as well as to cherish those special moments when they come, I return to write about today. And maybe, I'll be back tomorrow.

Today, R came with me to the vet. Our cat Jeda had a checkup, after some dental work. He had been losing weight, and the hope was that the dental work would help him feel better and eat more, but his weight was down again. I'm not sure how much R was paying attention, but the vet went into detail about what it COULD be and what our options MIGHT be if Jeda keeps losing weight. In the interim, we will try to make sure he gets plenty of food that he likes.

After the vet, we searched online for toys and games related to the boys' latest passion, "Ben lO".

R & I rode to our favorite sandwich shop for lunch, and as is our way, spent a long time there eating. R told me "It takes me a long time to eat because to me, meal time is not just for eating, it is also my time to think." We also discussed the sandwich shop's reading program - if you read 500 minutes in 6 weeks, you can win a free kids meal and be entered in the drawing for a bigger prize. After we calculated that 10-15 minutes a day would cover it, R very astutely pointed out that it would be easy, because he is reading all the time - road signs, sandwich shop menus, posters on the vetrinarian's wall, game prompts, etc. I'm sure that is not what the sandwich shop had in mind ... but perhaps the reading challenge will still help to broaden R's current thoughts beyond the show mentioned above and his current favorite game involving botany and the undead.

After the sandwich shop, we rode to a playground to play characters from the show ... not something I was fully present for, I admit. I made the realization (again - maybe one day it will stick) that I often prefer to engage with R in video games than in his complex world of pretend play, or the games he invents. What do I want to encourage? I find the video games more entertaining. So, why shouldn't he?

While R & I were out and about today, M took the other two boys for a scoot/ride to the park and around the neighborhood. They also made chocolate chip cookies -yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment